With our Valorant Agent Guide series, we bring you up to speed on each of the available agents, with a complete guide to their abilities, strategy and tips. In today's edition, we look at Killjoy.
In just a couple of months, Valorant will be turning a year old, and a lot has changed for that period. Most notably, the roster of playable agents has expanded quite a lot. Valorant's Killjoy was released at the start of Act 2, back in August 2020. Here's all you need to know about her.
- READ MORE: Valorant Agent Guide: Omen
Valorant's Killjoy: Abilities Guide
Valorant's Killjoy serves as a Sentinel with plenty of tools to help her gain the edge on most of the maps. Gameplaywise she resembles Cypher as she can also gain a lot of information without physically being there.
EQUIP a Nanoswarm grenade. FIRE to throw the grenade. Upon landing, the Nanoswarm goes covert. ACTIVATE the Nanoswarm to deploy a damaging swarm of nanobots. The grenade is invisible to far away enemies while in covert mode and can be broken.
Much like Cypher's cage you can remotely activate the Nanoswarm and inflict some heavy damage to unsuspecting enemies. The damage inflicted in the radius is quite high and it'll literally melt any opponent in just a few seconds. Keep in mind that enemies can still destroy it or just walk away with something like Jett's dash. It's also the only Killjoy ability without recall but to make up for it, it has 2 charges.
EQUIP a covert Alarmbot. FIRE to deploy a bot that hunts down enemies that get in range. After reaching its target, the bot explodes, applying Vulnerable. HOLD EQUIP to recall a deployed bot. Deactivates if Killjoy is more than 40m away from them. Re-entering the 40m range reactivates it.
Alarmbot starts off as a hidden mine that you deploy on the ground. Once an enemy is close enough the bot will activate itself and explode when it reaches the target. Any opponent affected by the bot will receive a debuff that causes them to take double damage. Alarmbot can be recalled, and you'll be able to place it in a different spot but there's a 20-second cooldown.
Signature Ability: Turret
EQUIP a Turret. FIRE to deploy a turret that automatically fires at enemies in a 180-degree cone. HOLD EQUIP to recall the deployed turret. Deactivates if Killjoy is more than 40m away from them. Re-entering the 40m range reactivates it.
Turret is Killjoy's signature ability. With it, the agent deploys a turret that deals light damage (11 per burst). It can be destroyed by enemies which puts it on a 45-second cooldown. Alternatively, you can recall it, placing it on a 20-second cooldown. The main use for Turret is definitely not the damage as it'll also give you visual info when firing at a target.
Ultimate Ability: Lockdown
EQUIP the Lockdown device. FIRE to deploy the device. After a long windup, the device. Detains all enemies caught in the radius. The device can be destroyed by enemies. Enemies detained by the ultimate can neither shoot nor use any abilities for 8 seconds.
Killjoy's ultimate ability is Lockdown, and it costs 7 orb points to use. Lockdown takes some time to wind up (13.5 seconds) but it's totally worth it. Once it charges up the device will release a charge that detains enemies for 8 seconds. The debuff disarms opponents, slows them down significantly, and prevents them from defusing the spike.
Valorant's Killjoy: Strategy Guide
As we've already mentioned Killjoy is a Sentinel and she fits a defensive role. Naturally, she'll be way more useful as a defender. Sure, you won't be the agent that rushes in and gets the kills, but your team will appreciate the cover you provide. Whether that'll be by laying traps and waiting for an opponent to walk in or keeping your team's flank with a turret is up to you. Actually, why not both?
Valorant's Killjoy: Tips and Tricks
We've covered the basics of each of Killjoy's abilities, so let's look at some more advanced tips to consider when using them!
- Killjoy requires a setup and she'll usually have trouble fighting in a one-on-one situation. Make sure you have your traps set up.
- Since Killjoy lacks any sort of crowd control outside of her ultimate make sure you have enough utility on the rest of your team.
- Combine Turret with Sage's wall and you've got one nice combo to give you information without taking any risks.
- The turret can be flashed so make sure you place it in a safe spot.
- The turret has only 125 HP, but it can still serve as a great tool to bait opponents. Wait for them to open fire on it and go for the kill.
- Killjoy is much weaker on the offense, but you can put Turret inside a friendly smoke to surprise enemies after it expires.
- Nanobots don't do damage to themselves but they can be used to get info and potentially flush out an enemy.
- Lockdown goes through walls and can be used to defend a planted spiker. Remember, affected enemies won't be able to defuse.
That's it for Killjoy, happy hunting and keep an eye out for our next Valorant Agent Guide!
- READ MORE: Valorant Agent 16: Release Date & Role