KAY/O is the next agent coming to Valorant. Riot Games confirmed the robot character yesterday with an official trailer, and we got a good look at all of Kayo's abilities.
We've been waiting for a new Valorant agent for some time, and it's finally here. Well, almost. Episode 3 Act 1 in Valorant is set to kick off on June 22, that's also when players can expect the latest agent to join the roster - KAY/O. The robot agent was teased for a few weeks before finally getting officially revealed yesterday. Missed the trailer? Worry not, we got you.
- Read More: 5 Reasons Why You Suck at Valorant
What Was the Inspiration for KAY/O?
The KAY/O trailer reminds us of Groundhog Day and Terminator. That's no coincidence, as the new agent's design was inspired by sci-fi cult classics. Valorant Game Designer, Ryan Cousart commented:
Given I’m not too versed in my sci-fi, I actually learned a lot about different inspirations from Terminator to I, Robot, even all the way to Chappie.
Valorant Character Producer Jon Goscicki revealed that KAY/O was the first agent the team started working on after Valorant's launch.
- Read More: The Winners of the Valorant Give Back Bundle
Agent KAY/O's Abilities
KAY/O is really something different as he brings a couple of new mechanics to the table. His main gimmick is disabling enemy abilities, a mechanic we've already seen in other FPS titles like Apex Legends (Revenant). Then there's his ultimate, which makes it possible to bring KAY/O back to life – a common mechanic in battle royale titles. Is Riot going to jump into Battle Royale territory soon? Without further ado, here are all of KAY/O's abilities.
- Ability 1 – FRAG/MENT: EQUIP an explosive fragment. FIRE to throw. The fragment sticks to the floor and explodes multiple times, dealing near lethal damage at the center with each explosion.
- Ability 2 – FLASH/DRIVE: EQUIP a flash grenade. FIRE to throw. The flash grenade explodes after a short fuse, blinding anyone in line of sight.
Right-clicking the flashbang throws a charged flash, causing it to only have to cook for 1 second, as opposed to left-click throwing a flash that cooks in 1.6 seconds.
- Signature Ability – ZERO/POINT: EQUIP a suppression blade. FIRE to throw. The blade sticks to the first surface it hits, winds up, and suppresses anyone in the radius of the explosion.
- Ultimate Ability – NULL/CMD: INSTANTLY overload with polarized radianite energy that empowers KAY/O and causes large energy pulses to emit from his location. Enemies hit with these pulses are suppressed for a short duration. While overloaded, KAY/O gains combat stim. If KAY/O is killed while overloaded, he is downed and enters a destabilized state, allowing allies to stabilize his core and revive him.
Just like Riot promised, KAY/O is a throwback to some classical shooters. KAY/O's abilities grant him access to a frag grenade, a flash grenade, and knives to disable enemies. With all of that, KAY/O will have no trouble getting in.
Agent KAY/O Release Date
The release date for KAY/O is expected to be June 22, when the next Episode in Valorant is set to begin. We're sure more info will become available in the Valorant dev live stream on June 21.