Outer Wilds making an entrance
Who won at the BAFTA Games Awards?
Yesterday was the 16th annual edition of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Games Awards. Here's how it all went:
Much like many other live events, the BAFTA Games Awards were canceled and moved to a live stream due to the coronavirus outbreak. The contest included 18 categories with some games winning in more than one. The big winners this year were Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium.
Outer Wilds is developed by Mobius Digital and won the biggest award of them all as Best game, while also taking first place in Game Design and Original Property. Disco Elysium also won in three categories – Debut Game, Music and Narrative.
Here’s also the full list of all winners in each of the 18 categories:
- Animation – Luigi’s Mansion 3
- Artistic Achievement – Sayonara Wild Hearts
- Audio Achievement – Ape Out
- Best Game – Outer Wilds
- British Game – Observation
- Debut Game – Disco Elysium
- Evolving Game – Path of Exile
- Family – Untitled Goose Game
- Game Beyond Entertainment – Kind Words (Lo Fi Chill Beats to Write to)
- Game Design – Outer Wilds
- Multiplayer – Apex Legends
- Music – Disco Elysium
- Narrative – Disco Elysium
- Original Property – Outer Wilds
- Performer in a Leading Role – Gonzalo Martin as Sean Diaz in Life is Strange 2 (episodes 2-5)
- Performer in a Supporting Role – Martti Suosalo as Ahti the Janitor in Control
- Technical Achievement – Death Stranding
- EE Mobile Game of the year – Call of Duty: Mobile
At the BAFTA Games Awards, we see a couple of titles from the 23rd edition of the D.I.C.E. Awards:
- Apex Legends – Online Game of the Year in D.I.C.E.
- Sayonara Wild Hearts – Portable Game of the Year in D.I.C.E.
- Disco Elysium – Outstanding Achievement in Story in D.I.C.E.
- Death Stranding – Outstanding Technical Achievement, Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design
- Luigi’s Mansion – Outstanding Achievement in Animation
- Untitled Goose Game – Game of the Year, Outstanding Achievement for an independent game, Outstanding Achievement in Character
That’s quite a lot of similarity between the two events, which means that some of the titles really deserved it. In both cases, indie games were definitely doing much better than their triple-A counterparts.
The BAFTA Games Awards also presented Hideo Kojima with the BAFTA Fellowship.
The Fellowship is the highest accolade bestowed by BAFTA upon an individual in recognition of an outstanding and exceptional contribution to film, games or television. Fellowships previously presented for outstanding work across these industries include Kathleen Kennedy, Thelma Shoonmaker, Tim Schafer, Joanna Lumley, John Carmack, David Braben OBE, Helen Mirren, Rockstar Games, Julie Walters, Gabe Newell, Peter Molyneux, Vanessa Redgrave, Shigeru Miyamoto and Will Wright.
Kojima is well-known in the gaming community and even outside of it. The Japanese game designer, director, producer and writer stands behind the Metal Gear series and the recent Death Stranding.
For more news in the industry, check out our Gaming section.