Season 5 of Apex Legends is upon us and we’re here to give you a quick tour of the most important changes in the patch notes and the new Battle Pass.
Loba has arrived to Apex Legends
Yesterday, the new season of Apex Legends kicked off. Fortune’s Favor features a brand-new playable legend in the face of Loba. The nimble thief is focused all around loot and received multiple video reveals, with the latest one giving us a good idea of her abilities.
Chances are the new legend will be picked all the time in the first few weeks until players figure her out. It won’t be too surprising to see some nerfs or buffs as with all new characters. Her abilities are as listed:
Tactical – Burglar’s Best Friend
- Teleport to hard-to-reach places or escape trouble quickly by throwing your Jump Drive bracelet.
Ultimate – Black Market Boutique
- Place a portable device that allows you to teleport nearby loot to your inventory. Each friendly or enemy Legend can take up to two items.
Passive – Eye for Quality
- Nearby epic and Legendary loot can be seen through walls.
- The range is the same as Black Market Boutique.
The all-new season introduces an all-new Battle Pass. As usual, it comes with a free version and a premium one. The latter costs 950 Apex Coins or roughly $9,50. The difference between the two is quite significant, with the premium giving a greater number of rewards. A video was also released for the new Battle Pass.
- READ MORE: Apex Legends is coming to next-gen consoles
Reconnecting is now possible
A huge issue in the game was dashboarding which was basically the term used to describe players leaving the game on purpose. Now reconnecting is possible but there’s still a time limit.
Players that leave a match unexpectedly can now rejoin their match in progress. "Unexpected" means exiting the match through any means other than the system menu, including crashing, using alt+f4 on PC, or "dashboarding" to close the game on console. To reconnect, simply restart the game and enter the lobby. The game will automatically attempt to reconnect you if the match is still valid, your squad is still alive, and your chance to reconnect hasn't timed out. Reconnect will be available for all competitive modes.
Keep in mind we’ll only take a look at the most significant changes.
Mirage was one of the legends in a dire need of some buffs or a rework. Apex Legends Season 5 didn’t disappoint.
Tactical: Psyche Out
- Pressing the character utility action button allows Mirage to gain control of his decoy.
- When controlling the decoy, it will mimic Mirage’s every move.
- Decoys now last for 60 seconds.
- Releasing another decoy will remove the previous decoy.
Ultimate: Life of the Party
- Mirage deploys a team of decoys that mimic his every move (think “Emergency Dance Party" from DUMMIEs Big Day).
- Cooldown 60 seconds.
Passive: Now You See Me…
- In addition to cloaking when downed, Mirage also cloaks while using a respawn beacon and reviving a teammate (the teammate is also cloaked).
- Mirage’s “You got Bamboozled” line will now trigger when you bamboozle an enemy, instead of when you release a decoy.
These are quite the improvements, especially the cloaking part when reviving. The fact that decoys last for so long now combined with the fact that Mirage can control them will really make it hard to tell which is the real one.
Tactical: Eye of the Allfather
- Increased Sonar Detection from 3 seconds to 4 seconds.
- Decreased Cooldown from 35 seconds to 25 seconds.
- Crypto can now ping banners, while in drone, to warn teammates of nearby squads.
- Increased Lifeline bin ratio to 20%
- Removed Knockdown Shields from Secret Compartment loot pool
Designer note: this is something that is a bit of an experiment. We will be keeping an eye out to make sure this change doesn’t cause any degenerate player behavior.
- Friendly gas no longer slows teammates.
- Caustic traps are no longer triggered from the other side of a door.
Designer note: This is a first step in pushing more team utility for Octane. We have more updates planned but they didn’t make the cutoff for this patch.
- Launch Pad cooldown is reduced from 90 seconds to now 60 seconds.
Designer note: Internal data shows that Gibraltar’s performance in individual fights is in a good place, but we want to bring down his power a bit in team fights.
- Reduced Dome Shield duration from 18s to 12s.
Designer note: Given the power of quick repositioning in Apex, being able to use Pathfinder’s Grappling Hook multiple times in a fight is both too powerful and muddies combat legibility.
- The cooldown for Grappling Hook has been increased from 15 seconds to 35 seconds.
The caustic gas was one of the most requested changes and the devs have finally done it. Whether it'll stay in the game remains to be seen. After the nerfs for Wraith's Into the Void cooldown, it only makes sense that Pathfinder follows the same fate. The two legends were picked for their mobility and the friendly robot was all over the place until now.
Season 5 Fully-kitted Gold Weapons
- Longbow DMR
- The Mastiff is being rotated out of the care package to a regular weapon with its power reduced accordingly.
- Reduced damage per pellet from 18 to 13.
- Reduced headshot multiplier from 2.0 to 1.25.
- Increased blast pattern distances for the outer pairs of pellets.
- Increased blast pattern scale ADS multiplier from 0.5 to 0.55.
- Reduced fire rate from 1.3 to 1.0.
- Reduced projectile size to be more in line with other regular shotguns.
- Increased shell count from 4 to 6.
- Increased projectile speed to standard shotgun speed.
- Peacekeeper is being rotated out of a regular weapon and into the care package weapon with its power being increased accordingly.
- Tightened pellet spread pattern.
- Reduced rechamber time from 1.2 to 0.9.
- Reduced reload times from 2.65 to 2.45 base and 3.6 to 3.35 empty.
- Increased projectile size to improve consistency at close range.
- Increased Mag size from 16 to 19. Level 1 Extended mag is now 22, Level 2 is now 25, and Level 3 is now 27.
- Increased damage from 11 to 12.
- Reduced reload time from 1.74 to 1.5 base and 2.12 to 1.95 empty
- Vertical recoil increased.
- Horizontal recoil slightly increased.
- Recoil on the first 2 shots increased.
- Headshot scale reduced from 2.15 to 2.1.
- Headshot scale reduced from 2.1 to 2.0.
- Adding Skullpiercer Hopup for DMR and Wingman.
DMR w/ Skullpiercer - Headshot scale 2.1 -> 2.5
Wingman w/ Skullpiercer - Headshot scale 2.0 -> 2.25
- Vaulted Anvil Receiver.
- Added Perk: Shield Cells & Syringes give double the amount per use.
- Removed Perk: Removed 50% heal speed.
Apex Legends Season 5 welcomes the Mastiff in the regular pool and bids farewell to the Peacekeeper. So long, dear friend, you did well. Perhaps the most notable change in this list is the removed perk from the Gold Armor. It allowed characters like Lifeline and Gibraltar who already had increased speed on items to use things like the Phoenix Kit extremely fast. Now, a regular purple armor will be almost as good with EVO shields being the better contender.
Keep in mind we've only gone through some of the most important changes in the patch notes. For the full log make sure to check out EA's official website. Stay tuned for more Apex Legends updates.