We all thought the new LoL Champion after Akshan would be Norra, Yuumi’s master that has disappeared. But just like with Gwen, Riot pulled an UNO reverse card, and we now know that the new LoL Champion will in fact be Vex. Here’s everything about Vex: release date, abilities, lore and more.
Don’t get us wrong, we absolutely love Vex and her emo-look. However, we were a tad bit surprised when Vex was Vex and not Norra. Everyone just assumed that the new LoL Champion after Akshan would be Norra, but hey, this is Riot we're talking about, and they're always pulling those moves.
How do we know that, though? Well, because Vex has been leaked thanks to the Sentinels of Light story that is currently going on in the LoL Universe.
What We Know About Vex’s Lore
The one thing that always comes up when talking about Vex, is that she is a gloomy mage (already gives you a hint at what kind of champion she will be, but more on that in a second). Since every champion that was released during the Sentinels Event ties in with the according lore, Vex is no difference here. She is a Yordle that plays a big part in Viego’s story.
According to a /reddit post by Reav3, Viego meets the travelling Vex, who fancies Viego and therefore helps him amplify Viego’s powers. If this is true, then Vex is the reason why Viego is so powerful now.
What Abilities Will Vex Have?
Vex will be a Mage Champion for the Mid Lane. Due to her passive, champions with dashes and jumps look rather bad against her.
Her kit looks good. Long range engages, a teleport, massive area damage and an AoE-fear and of course, a reset on the ultimate for some extra flashy plays... Very important, of course: Every Ability proccs her passive - not that you have to be good or something... What kind of champion would Vex be in 2021 then, right? Oh, Riot. What do you have in store for us? Didn't you learn anything from Viego?
[Update, September 7]
Vex's abilities have now been revealed!
- Passive - Doom ‘n Gloom: Doom - Periodically, Vex becomes empowered by Doom, causing her next basic ability to interrupt dashes and Fear enemies. / Gloom - Whenever a nearby enemy dashes or blinks, they become marked with Gloom. Vex’s next basic attack against a marked enemy detonates the mark, dealing bonus damage and refunding part of Doom's cooldown!
- Q - Mistral Bolt: Vex launches a wave forward, dealing magic damage to enemies it passes through. After a short delay, the wave accelerates but has reduced width. Mistral Bolt detonates Gloom on any marked enemies it hits.
- W - Personal Space: Vex gains a shield and emits a shockwave, dealing magic damage to enemies around her. Personal Space detonates Gloom on any marked enemies it hits.
- E - Looming Darkness: Shadow flies to a location, increasing in size as it travels. On arriving, Shadow deals magic damage, slows, and marks enemies hit with Gloom.
- R - Shadow Surge: Shadow flies forward, marking and dealing magic damage to the first enemy champion hit. Vex can then recast this ability to have Shadow pull her to the marked target, dealing additional magic damage.
What Skin Will Vex Get Upon Release?
With the ability spotlight, we also got a glimpse of Vex's release skin as well. It seems like she will be joining Soraka and Nidalee as a Dawnbringer. A little odd, since she is the emo Yordle, but the juxtaposition is interesting to see.
When Will Vex Release?
In the latest Riot Games 'Ask Riot' thread, Reav3 stated that Vex should be out in September. So this could either mean that she will be released for everyone either in LoL Patch 11.18 (so September 9) or Lol Patch 11.19 (September 22). This all depends on whether Reav3 is talking about the PBE server or the live server.
He also explained that her source of power, her shadow, is what is taking so long to get just right. In the meantime, however, the developers are back on schedule, and it sounds like it will stay that way. Patch 11.18 is going live tomorrow, and the in-game footage looks smooth. Therefore, Riot has announced that Vex is coming with Worlds Patch 11.19.
Riot has also posted an insight thread on the development of Vex. If you want to know more about it, just click here.
After having been introduced to her in the Sentinels of Light event we can't wait to play his Yordle and see what she can do on Summoner's Rift.