Everything you need to know about the gaming industry from the past week

Industry Intel: They come in fours

Other
Industry Intel They come in fours

Crash Bandicoot 4 promo art (Image credit: Toys for Bob)

It’s Friday, which means one thing: new Industry Intel! The bite-sized article series for gaming industry news. This week in the business has been marked by the number four. Weird, huh?

A surprising number of “for of’s” have been making headlines in the past week. Here are a few.

Things that come in fours

The Last of Us Part II has sold over 4 million copies already. The hugely controversial sequel to Naughty Dog’s cult classic has been in the news pretty much every week for the past few months with leaks, scandals, accusations, review bombings and fan-versus-critic warfare. Some people hate it for being so different from the first one, changing the focus of its story and shifting the tone to a significantly darker and more hateful atmosphere. Others praise the game for taking a huge risk, delivering an unexpected plotline, and shining as an example of a video game that makes an art statement.

Well, whatever you stand in the discussion, one thing can’t be denied - the game is doing well (it is the fastest-selling physical PS game in the UK this generation!) and all the boycotting that was talked about clearly didn’t do the trick.

Crash Bandicoot 4 won’t have in-game purchases. This week we saw a confusing situation when the Microsoft Store listing featured a $59.99 price and in-game purchases disclaimer for the upcoming platformer, which is not something people like to see in their full-price games. Turned out the disclaimer was triggered by the in-game skins that come with the preorder of the game, and there won’t be anything extra to pay for, so it’s all good.

Metroid Prime 4 is in the works. The title is in the hands of Retro Studios who keep hiring talent for their team.

Other numbers

Starbreeze seeks 26 million to fund Payday 3. The studio has been greenlit by its stakeholders to raise the funds needed for their next game. 70% will be funneled in the development cycle, and the other 30% will be used to cover debts. The name of their hit franchise has never been more suitable.

Discord raises 100 million to go beyond gaming. Arguably the most popular messaging app in the gaming world is looking beyond the devices of gamers, something most likely inspired by the few months of lockdown we saw this year. Discord’s attempts to outgrow gaming bond well with investors and the platform is now valued at $3.5 billion, jumping all the way from $2.1 billion at the end of 2018.

For more numbers, gaming content, and news stay tuned to EarlyGame.com!

Related Content

More Other content

Most Recent

Related Content

More Other content