The PS5 is just around the corner, but some games already had their release. Can you just play them on the PS5 even though they are actually PS4 games? Some of them... but not all.
The whole thing often looks very complicated, but upgrading from PS4 to PS5 games is quite simple. Let us explain it.
Take the latest Ubisoft game, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, as an example. Maybe you have already bought it, so this guide is perfect for you.
- If you have the regular version of the PS5, you need to insert the PS4 disc of Valhalla into your PS5. You will then have the option to download the PS5 version of Valhalla for free, but you will need to insert the PS4 disc each time you want to play Valhalla on your PS5.
- If you chose the digital version of the PS5 and bought Valhalla on PlayStation Store, you can easily download Valhalla on the PS5 again. PlayStation Store will know that you have already purchased it. Of course, if you have a disc for Valhalla, but you have purchased a digital version of the PS5, this is not possible.
But now we come to the sad part - not every game will have such a free upgrade.
At the moment a free upgrade is guaranteed for the following games:
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla
- Borderlands 3
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Dead by Daylight
- Destiny 2
- Dirt 5
- Doom Eternal
- Far Cry 6
- FIFA 21
- Hitman 3 (Digital Only)
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Immortals Fenyx Rising
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits
- Madden NFL 21
- Marvel's Avengers
- Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
- Mortal Kombat 11
- RIDE 4
- Riders Republic
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Watch Dogs Legion
- WRC 9
- Yakuza: Like A Dragon
And with these games, you'll have to pay extra:
Original article by EarlyGame's Michelle Stummreiter.