Halloween is getting closer by the day and events in various titles are already kicking off. Will Diretide be making a comeback in Dota 2 in 2020?
We’re getting closer to the end of October and you know what that means – Halloween. Many games have already announced special events for the occasion but what about Dota 2? Will Diretide return in 2020?
What Is Diretide?
Diretide is the Dota 2 event for Halloween or should we say “was”. It had only two editions so far and they were back in 2012 and 2013. The Diretide in 2012 added a brand-new game mode along with the Greevil courier.
The new mode consisted of three stages:
- Compete against the enemy team in collecting the most Diretide Greevil Taffy icon.png Greevil Taffies.
- Collect candy from Roshlings and deposit it in your candy bucket.
- Go on a raid and steal the enemy's candy from their bucket.
After 20 minutes (after the 2nd stage), the team with the most candy wins!
The Trickster Awakens
- All this ruckus has awoken Roshan from his slumber.
- He will target a random hero, alternating between teams, and bully them for candy.
- Keeping a piece of candy in your inventory is recommended as failure to feed Roshan will result in death.
- After 20 minutes Roshan will be stuffed, and you will be left candyless.
- You must team up with the enemy and go after Roshan to reclaim your candy.
- Defeating Roshan will reward you with items and delicious candy.
- The fastest Roshan slayers will be immortalized in the Diretide Hall of Fame!
The 2013 edition made some improvements but didn’t add a whole lot. Ever since then, fans have been eager to see it return but it never did.
Image GalleryView Gallery
Is Diretide Coming in 2020?
There’s some evidence that Diretide will be making a return even if it’s just speculation. Back in July Valve posted a Call to Arms announcement for Workshop artists.
Notice the pumpkin lantern? Yesh it’s the same as the one in the Diretide poster, carried by Roshan himself. Chances are, Valve have been preparing for the event since July if not even earlier. The deadline for submissions was September 24 and it’s already later October. Halloween is just 11 days away so we’ll have to wait and find out.
If Valve keep their previous schedule for Diretide we should definitely expect the event to start later than most other games. Diretide 2012 began on October 30, and Diretide 2013 started on November 14. Are you excited about the potential return of the Dota 2 Halloween event? Tell us on our Facebook page!