Duos, Map rotations and balance changes
Apex Legends: The Old Ways patch notes
Respawn Entertainment’s Battle Royale was about to get stale when yesterday, the game received its Old Ways event, bringing skins, challenges, duos and more.
Apex Legends is steadily heading towards the end of Season 4 but there’s still around a month until then. The game entered the second split of its ranked season, switching players in the competitive mode from World’s Edge to Kings Canyon. The latest event, The Old Ways, focused around Bloodhound was also combined with a Town Takeover themed around the technological tracker. Without further ado let’s take a look at the rest of the changes coming with The Old Ways.
Map Rotations and Duos here to stay
With the current patch, maps in casual will be rotating between World’s Edge, Kings Canyon Season 2 and Kings Canyon After Dark. There’s a reason the devs chose rotation over selection. If players are able to select their favorite map and only want to play on it, queue times will vary greatly. Map rotations will remain as a permanent part of the game.
According to Respawn, every time they added Duos as a limited-time mode, it had a positive effect on the community with faster queue times and better team play. The same couldn't be said for Solos as most legends are designed to work in a team.
- Kings Canyon and Kings Canyon After Dark – Increase to the total amount of loot items that spawn in the map.
After some complaints by players that Kings Canyon simply doesn’t have nearly as much loot as World’s Edge we can already see action taken by Respawn.
- Reduced the amount of damage required to evolve.
- Blue Armor damage requirement reduced from 100 -> 75
- Purple Armor damage requirement reduced from 300 -> 150
- Red Armor damage requirement reduced from 500 -> 400
If you’ve played ever since Evo shields were added permanently, you’d notice a downward trend for the item’s popularity. Almost nobody picks them, because it’s too much of a hassle to level them up.
- Reduced headshot scale from 2.0 -> 1.75.
- Reduced leg shot scale from 0.9 -> 0.75.
- Slightly reduced projectile speed.
- L-STAR will reset its viewkick pattern much more quickly to avoid horizontal recoil feeling like it goes in an unpredictable direction while feathering the trigger.
Reduced time before overheat 2.4 -> 2.2 (25 shots -> 23 shots)
- Increased headshot damage multiplier from 2.05 -> 3.0. Now it should always down a target with a headshot, even if they are a fortified character with a level 3 helmet and a full Evo shield.
- Reduced ammo per pickup from 10 -> 8
- Reduced inventory stack size from 20 -> 16
- Limb shots on Low-Profile Legends now deal as much damage as body shots.
The G7 Scout takes a big hit and now hurts a lot less, with this trend the weapon will soon be as bad as the Mozambique. L-Star’s nerf feels fair as it could already bring an opponent from 100% to 0 without overheating. Respawn seem to be taking aim at the snipers and discourage camping by reducing the ammo pickups and stack size. Kraber, on the other hand, will always insta-kill if you land a headshot.
Revenant - Player feedback that Revenant wasn't feeling viable enough has been loud and clear and game data showed the same. Our goal is to bring his effectiveness up to parity with other Legends.
- Increased duration of status effect from 10s -> 20s
- Silence now disables Gibraltar’s Gun Shield.
- Increased the duration of area of effect from 5s -> 10s
- Silence has 2 charges now
- Characters are now respawned with 50 health (or whatever health they had when they activated it, if lower) instead of 1
Removed Low Profile
Revenant is probably one of the least picked legends in the game next to Crypto. He seems good in theory, but in reality, he offers very little in most situations. Either because it’s a long-range battle or because he lacks an escape that’s not dying with Death Totem buff.
- New secondary passive: Lifeline can access secret compartments with more loot on Blue Bins.
- Blue bins are found randomly replacing ordinary bins. These rare bins will have a secondary compartment that only Lifeline can open.
- The secondary compartment will always contain some mixture of health items, weapon attachments, and knockdown shields.
It looks like the rumors of class passives are partially true. For now, Lifeline will be the only legend with access to the mystical blue bins.
- Portals will now disappear after four seconds if both ends are outside the Circle. This change was made to combat players exploiting the Portal to avoid taking damage outside the Ring.
Even after numerous nerfs, Wraith is still one of the most popular characters. Keep going Respawn, we’ll get there. The Old Ways brought more than anyone could have expected. The event will last up until April 21 so you still have time to dive right into it. In the meantime, stay tuned for more Apex Legends news.